Thursday

I can only imagine



I see on my Facebook thread that so and so is now friends with "her" or "him" those people that weren't so kind to me as a kid. I time warp back to the moments they hurt me and sometimes I feel exactly what they called me. Sometimes I wonder if they remember or even know the pain they caused me. Sometimes I scroll through their page to see where life brings them and I am proud that I accomplished something more than them or moved away from that dusty ol' place I grew up in.

Isn't that horrible!

I know many of you are thinking in many ways my feelings are justifiable. That I have the right to be angry, hurt, and resentful. The moment I drove away from my home town I never looked back. I often dread going back there even as an adult for fear of having to stare down someone that did hurtful things to me. More than anything it makes me angry. But I can't shake the feeling that if I am truly a reflection of Christ, because I am, then I really shouldn't hold onto my resentment. Christ was ridiculed and persecuted and slain to death--his persecutors didn't stop. And he STILL asked for God not to forsake them.

I'm not minimizing the hurt that I feel, but that's just it. I'm still believing the lie that was so easily spewed from my peers mouth. That's why I still hurt. Why I secretly peer into their lives and internally boast at the fact that despite the hurt they caused me, my life just may have turned out better than theirs. Ha! I stuck it to them! I proved them wrong! I CAN amount to something! I am smart! I am pretty! I am worthy! I am loveable!

I want to let go of the lies I believe about myself,  and reveal my truth, God's truth. Scripture asks me to keep my eyes fixed on what is good.

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things. Philippians 4:8

If I choose to believe about myself the way God does, than He can repair the brokenness that I suffered at the hands of others. If I focus on what is good about me, then I can only imagine what I'll begin to believe about myself. Imagine, then, what Christ's reflection bouncing out of me would look like.

With summer, just right around the corner (3 days TODAY to be exact! Amen!) I am going to create my first series! The lies I believe about my self, and compare those lies to God's truth. Please share what lies you believe about yourself. I would love to help encourage you in your walk in experiencing the love Christ would like to reflect from you too!


No comments:

Post a Comment