Friday

blind spot

Photo Credit and Design*: Aubrey Stout


Being a Hope Mentor I have the privilege of having access to a great curriculum that walks next to someone who is going through a difficult season in their life. We talk about flesh, sin, our early childhood experiences and our perceptions about God, just to name a few. Many times people have their aha! moment about God when a moment or season of brokenness is made so evident that they can no longer deny who God is. That's what happened to me, anyway. Brokenness is a concept that God has really tried to drive hard into the core of me.

What I didn't see clearly until recently was that brokenness isn't just a series of unfortunate events that brings someone to their knees. It can also be a grand display of fortunate events that can bring someone to their knees.
 
There was a blind spot in my thinking. As a culture we seek out the desperate and feel better when we help someone who is on the brink. But the oversight happens when we don't see those unfortunate events as catalysts to God's true desire--to lavish on us in His love!

How could I not have had a blind spot? The focus and attention was centered on where evil had succeeded. Someone's rock bottom and the "lesson" that it would or could provide.

How simple minded of me!

Don't misunderstand me, as a culture we do need to seek out the desperate and we do need to walk with those who are experiencing a difficult season of life, but not so we can point out their failures or to give an alternate perspective on the inner workings of His divinity.

I had many opportunities for brokenness in my life, many times that you would think I would have hit rock bottom. I had a less than ideal childhood and a rough start to adolescence, but when I look back on when and how my brokenness happened, it wasn't in the wake of my worst fears that I came running to Him. It was in the light of His love and mercy. I could no longer deny who He was. When I saw it for what it really was and focused on how much He loved me that is when I was able to shed years of self-neglect and self-hatred.  He heard the inner workings of my soul and showed me in grand ways.

▬Showed me with the unconditional love and patience of my husband as I dealt with postpartum depression.
▬When I was alone and thought no one could hear me, He surprised me with granting me a wish {a neat moment I'll share sometime in another post}.
▬When I was harsh on myself for being overwhelmed in how to be a parent, he whispered in my ear that He was with me.
▬With the help of my husband, He gave me the nudge to seek out a small group where I established fulfilling friendships and where I experienced my greatest personal growth and healing {and still continue to}.
▬When I was undoubtedly in the wrong, He said, I forgive you.
▬He brought me to Atlanta, GA; far from friends and family, so that I could meet Him and see Him clearly for the first time, ever.
▬The list is quite extensive! He showed me over and over again!

Never once did he shame or condemn me. Never once did he say, "if you would have just done it that way." When I didn't hear or see Him, he showed greater dedication to lavishing me with His love. It was when I finally succumbed to the goodness around me that I finally got on my knees. Thank goodness God is not simple minded--thank goodness He sees the bigger picture clearer than I do. Sometimes that moment that feels like rock bottom is actually a catalyst for you seeing grand displays of fortunate events unfolding right before your eyes. It took me some time, but eventually I realized what it all meant. Hindsight really is 20/20.


How has God lavished His love on you? Do you have any blind spots where credit could be going to God?

*The above photo is inspired in part by a blog I follow called, So Worth Loving. Check it out, you won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment